Rechroming & Laser Cladding
Cylinder rods, exposed to the harsh conditions offshore, will eventually fail resulting in equipment downtime. Rechroming or laser cladding are both recognised means of prolonging the life of all types of metal parts subjected to wear, friction, abrasion and corrosion. These parts can be salvaged when they are worn and would otherwise be scrapped. It is much less expensive to reclaim worn hydraulic components by rebuilding tolerances than it is to buy or fabricate the part from scratch.
Rigrun Europe Ltd insists on the highest quality surface finish and our suppliers have been carefully chosen for their proven track record and quality of work.
NICKEL CHROME PLATING
Nickel Chrome plating is a standard and widely available plating process to bring worn or corroded parts back to dimensional tolerances. This can be used on many components that were never plated by the OEM originally. Rigrun Europe Ltd use Nickel Chrome plating to refurbish Marine Riser Tensioner (MRT), Drill String Compensator (DSC) and other motion compensating equipment.
Laser cladding or laser deposition is a processing technique used for adding one material to the surface of another in a controlled manner. This heats the surface but not the bulk of the material. A stream of a desired powder is fed into a focused laser beam as it is scanned across the target surface, leaving behind a deposited coating of the chosen material (usually Nickel). This enables the
applied material to be deposited selectively just where it is required.
This provides the following advantages:
- Additional material can be placed precisely where desired.
- A very wide choice of different materials can be both deposited and deposited onto.
- Deposits are fully fused to the substrate with little or no porosity.
- Minimal heat input results in narrow HAZ (heat affected zone).
- Minimal heat input also results in limited distortion of the substrate and reduces the need for additional corrective machining.